Monday, October 24, 2005

IT'S BEYOND ME


This giant egg slicer has been bought for £63,000 by the National Galleries of Scotland and is the work of Mona Hatoum.

"Her style is characterised by forms and materials that evoke feelings of intimacy and familiarity while simultaneously suggesting the possibility of danger. In Slicer, Hatoum massively enlarges an egg slicer so it is the perfect fit, not for an egg, but for a child. The sculpture alludes to the fragility of the human body."

What a pretentious load of shite!

So, I understand from this that Mona visualised a child being sliced like a hard boiled egg? Or am I missing some kind of arty farty psychology here, that being a member of the lowly public I couldn't possibly begin to understand?

It looks like a bloody great egg slicer to me. The feelings it invokes in me are:

It wouldn't fit in my kitchen cupboard and where would I get an egg that big to fit and what the hell will I boil it in when I find it.

There again, I could put George Bush in it - now, that's a thought, or even the Pope.

If our Mona is thinking such strange thoughts perhaps she should seek help from the nearest trick cyclist

£63000?? Give me a break!

I did visit the famous "Pile of Bricks" at the Tate many years ago. Never let it be said that I won't give it a go in the flesh so to speak. It looked like a bloody great pile of bricks to me - arranged very neatly.

Kats

11 Comments:

Blogger Jez said...

Amazing!
Not all modern art is this stupid though.
I'm all for art being democratic and free, but 63000 pounds isn't what I call making art democratic...

1:31 PM  
Blogger David Evans said...

In my line of work I would say the so called artist is attention seeking and needs some serious help

1:54 PM  
Blogger kats said...

Jez, I don't think I even hinted that all modern art is stupid.

Read it again, properly and try not to jump to conlusions about my opinions.

Kats

4:43 PM  
Blogger Jez said...

Kats, I don't think I hinted that you hinted that all modern art was stupid...this could carry on and on and on...let's not jump to hasty conclusions(-;

10:06 PM  
Blogger Colcam said...

Now Now. Stop fighting, you two!

It's a brilliant piece of work.

1:45 AM  
Blogger kats said...

He started it LOL

Kats:0)

5:20 AM  
Blogger kats said...

He started it LOL

Kats:0)

5:21 AM  
Blogger Jez said...

I withdraw from the argument...

10:42 AM  
Blogger kats said...

Truce.

Kats:0)

12:41 PM  
Blogger Colcam said...

That was an interesting little cyber-spat :)

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just like the sound of slicing the pope into hundrens of peaces.

It should at least stop a few million innocents from being brainwashed, it might even save a few million Africans from dying of AIDS!!

Religion - the biggest killer this planet has ever seen.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home