Thursday, October 13, 2005

ME, ME, ME

Every morning around 5 - 6am I stumble downstairs, greet the dog, put the kettle on, switch on the lap-top, make some tea, light a fag, and settle down to trawl the online newspapers that have been delivered in the wee hours. I don't sleep very well, it drives me nuts, so at about 5am I give up the fight. However I do enjoy the solitude.

Incidentally, I have an appointment with the doctor today. I ran out of sleeping pills a month ago, they said they don't prescribe them on a regular basis. So I thought, OK we'll see what happens. If he won't give me any today I'll probably leap on him like a screaming banshee, perhaps not, maybe pathetic begging will work. Tried over the counter Nytol, but can't walk in a straight line for half the day. There's me gone off on a bloody tangent again, that's what tossing and turning all night does for you.

This morning, there was the inspiration for my next blog, and that got me thinking. Why? Because it's to do with religion and the Catholic Church. Also I usually blog about things that get up my nose - big time. Not always though. The other thing that takes me over is a vivid imagination and the desire to make a mockery, whilst I hope, making a serious point, err sometimes.

Anyway as I said I got to thinking (no mean task at 5 am).

I didn't have a religious upbringing, in any way. I was not christened and remember my Father saying that when I was old enough to understand then it would be my decision. My Grandmother sent me to Sunday School a few times and I even joined the Church Choir, but I never associated any of it with God, Jesus or any other aspect of Christianity. It was just something to do with people I knew, the chance of a day out and free cakes.

As a consequence, I am bemused and sometimes amazed at the blind faith in God, heaven, hell and all the other strange aspects of Christianity. None of it makes sense to me and I can't find any logic to it either. Many people would beg to differ.

I am very grateful to my Father for his attitude, for not bogging me down with the guilt associated with religion and the fear I know some people experience, of the consequences of their actions.

So, why do I keep bashing the Catholics - because I cannot abide hypocrisy and injustice in any form, and this institution seems to be pretty adept at perpetuating it.

So, I have to do another blog on them next. But, I'll go for a walk in the woods with the dog, watch the stags and look for red squirrels, that's as near to any kind of religion I can get.

Kats

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I find myself returning to your blog with almost alarming regularity, so I've now added a link here from the Ramblings of the Bearded One

1:39 PM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

If you go to the Blogger Dashboard, and click on "Blogger Help" over on the right side of the page, you'll be taken to http://help.blogger.com/

Under the Section "Working With Blogger" click on "Templates".

The first link is "How do I edit my link list?", and this will give you instructions on how to do it. Then it's just a case of paying with it until it works!

Don't be intimidated by it, after a while you'll find it's more straightforward than you feared.

7:47 PM  
Blogger kats said...

Well, I'll see if I can crack this one.

Thanks

Kats:0)

9:44 AM  
Blogger David Evans said...

Hi Kats

Good to hear you had a sensible father who left religion to you to make your mind up, as I on the other hand was force fed Sunday activities, no, not as a good catholic either, but as a protestant in Dundee. Enjoy reading your Blog entries.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Colcam said...

My Dad had a similar attitude. We are the lucky ones.

Up at 5am?

Gee - it's a wonder I've never passed you on the stairs ;)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home