Thursday, November 10, 2005

"WINTER LIGHTS"


Well, knock me down with a feather, I'm going to stick up for the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Those who know me are well aware of my adverse reaction to religion, my atheism and general antagonism towards "faith" and it's many guises, and no, I don't celebrate Christmas. Bah bloody humbug!

Maybe I should qualify. If someone is bound by their religion, more power to them, but leave me out of it, and don't hurt anyone as a result of it. Simple enough. Live and let live and each to his own. The same goes for race as well.

The Archbishop of Canterbury is pissed off, and rightly so. He speaks about the "nonsense" of banning Christian symbols at Christmas so as not to cause offence to other religions in our society. A nonsense is exactly what it is.

In recent years Christmas trees and lights have been banned from Job Centres and Charity shops so as not to give offence. Lambeth Borough Council, this year renamed its lights "winter lights" and "celebrity lights"but backed down after wide criticism . I should bloody well think so too.

Dr Williams said: I don't worry that our heritage is being sacrificed. I do worry at the ill-instructed way in which some people assume that the language of one religious tradition is automatically offensive to another.

We've had a Jihad on Burger King over swirly icecream symbols on lids for containers, a Fatwa on a certain author because he dared to write something he believed, and now the Christians in this country are being intimidated into "toning down" their presence at an important time in their religious calendar. Where is the common sense, justice and tolerance in that?

What does a fir tree and a few coloured lights have to do with Christianity anyway? Father Christmas has got bugger all to do with Jesus either!

Get a life and get on with it, quietly please.

Kats

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

If memory serves me right, the jolly, white haired, bearded, fat guy in red, as we know him, was actually invented by a Coca-cola marketing campaign early in the last century.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the site that you are using john holden

5:30 PM  
Blogger David Evans said...

Winter lights indeed, what a fuss about nothing, Lambeth council want their heads looking at, but there again they are probably muslim in the majority anyway.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Colcam said...

Hurrahhhhh for a few sensible words on religion, and Christmas, and the general hypocricy surrounding the whole bloody religious scam.

Humbug from me too.

Kats. I leave rants on religious matters in your capable hands.

1:15 AM  
Blogger kats said...

Yes Kim, but adapted from St. Nicholas I think.

Lightening I used to know someone that worked for Lambeth Borough Council, I could tell you a tale or two about them!

Why, thank you Colcam. It is such good blogging fodder!

Kats:0)

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home