Tuesday, December 06, 2005

DON'T JUST DO IT, B & Q IT

Yes, it's that time of year again when the £25,000 Turner Prize is awarded. As you probably know it went to the "shed" which apparently was dismantled, turned into a boat, floated and then re-assembled as a shed.

So, your DIY skills can win you the Turner Prize now, and secondly what a monumental waste of time.

Anyway read this:

The artist has said that his works are the physical manifestation of my thought process. Tate curators hailed the shed as poetic . . a buttress against the pressures of modernity, mass production and global capitalism. They added: For each project, he has learnt particular skills model-making, boat-building, engineering ... but always stopping short of complete mastery. We can sense, in the visible fissures and joins of his works, the signs of a paradoxical amateur professionalism.

Can't you just picture some anally rententive, superior being spouting off the above, whilst waving his glass of expensive bubbly around to make us all aware of his supreme powers of insight and superior knowledge, that none of us who gaze in wonder at a bloke getting an artistic accolade for re-assembling a shed and a back hander of £25,000 could possibly appreciate.

Pass me the sick bag.

Kats:0)

5 Comments:

Blogger David Evans said...

Kats, have noticed your smiley's don't work, try leaving a space after the text before inserting smiley's, they should work then.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Colcam said...

Oh Kats - You've been living too long in the middle of the Highland cultural desert, I fear ;)

And I was going to comment on this today - HUFF!

Love it or hate it, everyone is talking about it.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I agree with Colcam. Love it or hate it, everyone's talking about how much they hate it.
I can't get enough of those poncy art critiques. Basically he tried to build a shed. It was crap. He built a boat. It may not have sailed a steady course. So he built another shed!
Next time I put up a shelf, badly. I can just imagine my wife standing back, watching the ornaments slide off the wonky edge, admiring my amateur professionalism! I'm not sure if I'd get a £25,000 cheque or an almighty nagging.
What do you think?

5:11 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

No Saturday joke Kats?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Gaea Phoenix Qandromeda said...

I also would like a sick bag...that was the most astonishing bit of tripe I've read in a while.

Thanks!

: )


PS - any linkage sidebar action yet?

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home