Friday, March 03, 2006

DESERT ISLAND DISCS





I have not blogged for what seems like an age.

My house is sold and completion is in two weeks time, cupboards are still groaning under the weight of "stuff".

I feel like I'm living Desert Island Discs and Sue Lawley will appear out of a dark recess and say, "Now that's number 2 of the 10 things you can take, what will be your luxury item?"

"But, But, But" I wail, "It's all a luxury item"

I think my luxury item will be my sanity....please. I certainly won't be picking the bible as most do on that programme, well I might if a box of matches was provided with it and I needed to keep a camp fire going.

Well the two pictures are of the boat we have half bought. She is in the middle of the Atlantic aboard a ship bound for Amsterdam at the moment, having left Jacksonville in Florida last Saturday. She should arrive in Amsterdam on 12th March, heaved onto another ship to land in Southampton any time within 14 days after that. So I think sleeping in the car is a distinct possibility, never mind it was only minus 12 last night. (groan).

Said boat is a Bayliner 3270. 38feet long, 11.6ft wide, twin diesel engines. King sized bed in aft berth, twins in the pointy end, wet room, fully equipped galley, cooker, fridge, microwave and not enough room to swing a cat. A very large saloon surrounded by teak and lots of glass. All the electronic gizmos a man could possibly want. More bang for your bucks and quality that you could ever find in this country, and believe me we have scoured the British isles and anything to come near it would have cost us an extra £15,000 more.

So, after many sleepless nights wondering why we were giving a load of money to a man in Florida we have never met to buy a boat we've only seen in photos the Eurika moment arrived.

We found a nice man up here with the same model boat, bought from the same faceless person in Florida. Hot footed to the marina after having made his acquaintancee on the phone to view the clone of my future home.

Chuffed would be an understatement, relief does not come near.

So, thats the story so far. I promise to blog more often (if you can stand it) I must go I've got possessions to throw away.

Kats 0:)

6 Comments:

Blogger Gaea Phoenix Qandromeda said...

Nice!

Glad you're back!

I've never heard of Desert Island Discs (i don't watch much tv), but that bible line is funny.

I know the whole "throwing away possessions" panic feeling. I did the same thing before moving to Austin (hmmm...think I may have already commented on this topic...oh well). I had the whole, "but I need this random piece of junk that I haven't looked at or bothered with in years, but it's a part of my life" syndrome. It's funny how we allow inanimate objects to become so important, isn't it? We invest part of ourselves in this item, as if giving part of our spirit....

Good luck with the "throwing away". I felt much better when it was all said and done.

7:52 PM  
Blogger David Evans said...

The boat looks really nice and a good size too. Glad you have got your dream and wish all the best with the clearout, any chests full of banknotes you are chucking? Looking forward to your new adventure aboard. Has she got a name?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I hope you have internet access on the boat!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Colcam said...

Well Kats - that's bloody it now, innit?

Too late to think of all that precious junk now, so just keep chuckin' it oot and hope the weather gets warmer.

Buy a parrot to go with the boat!

All the best, and I look forward to hearing more.

4:21 PM  
Blogger kats said...

Throwing away and selling "things" that you never really needed in the first place is quite cathartic.

It's just the work of doing it thats a pain in the ass.

No Kim no internet on the boat but ....there are ways and means

6:19 PM  
Blogger reverberation said...

I'd love to just rop all things and go and live on a boat myself, but I was thinking more down the lines of a barge or long boat on the Manchester ship canal with Rosie and Jim !!! Good Luck...

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home